• 7th February 2020 at 1:07 am #8645
      Paul Perris

CLIMBING THROUGH THE CLOUDS

About 15 years ago , I was having lunch with my Father, who used is an airline pilot. He told me that once he was having his pilot’s licence upgraded at the time to be able to fly a bigger aircraft. A part of his flying exam, was to learn the 5 “ C’s” that a pilot must remember when they are in a storm cloud. If they did not apply these, the pilot could crash the aircraft.

I thought there could also be a spiritual, significance to this , and this could very easily apply to any crisis situation that you may be in during your daily lives.
      The 5 C’s are as follows:

1) Calm Down ( Meditate / Relax) If you panic you will crash.

2) Check the instruments : Focus on what the problem really is and work out a solution

3) CONTACT CONTROL TOWER: Pray / ask God for help

4) Comply with the flying manual : ( Find some information on the subject on Google , a holy book , reading an actual book on the subject of concern)

5) CLIMB : Rise above the problem

Any thoughts?

• 7th February 2020 at 11:52 am #8673
      Philippa

When we are under stress – what ever any individual classes as stress – it will vary according to individual personality and also mental health at the time – then this guidance makes perfect sense. When I panic I feel overwhelmed and it is often that feeling which stops us doing things = we are almost paralysed with stress – I am sure that this guide could almost train or teach us to be deal with stress.

• 18th February 2020 at 10:47 pm #8871
      Paul Perris
      Keymaster

Philippa got me thinking about panic in her last post:
      Panic can happen suddenly, intense surges of fear, panic, or anxiety. It can be overwhelming, and have physical as well as emotional symptoms.
      Many people who suffer panic may have difficulty breathing at the same time, sweat profusely, tremble, and feel their hearts pounding.
      Some people will also experience chest pain and a feeling of detachment from reality or themselves during the panic, so it’s also possible to think a heart attack is happening or even feeling like it is a stroke. It can be scary and may hit you quickly. Here are 10 ideas/ strategies you can use to try to stop a panic when you feel it coming.
      1. Deep breathing
      If you’re able to control your breathing, you’re less likely to experience the hyperventilating that can make other symptoms and the panic itself even worse.
      Focus on taking deep breaths in and out through your mouth, feeling the air slowly fill your chest and belly and then slowly leave them again. Breathe in for a count of four, hold for a second, and then breathe out for a count of four:
      2. Recognize the panic
      By recognizing the panic you are having instead of a heart attack, you can remind yourself that this is temporary, it will pass, and that you’re OK.
      Take away the fear that you may be dying or that impending doom is looming, both which can be symptoms of panic . This can allow you to focus on other techniques to reduce your symptoms.
      3. Close your eyes
      Panic generally comes from triggers that overwhelm you.
      To reduce the stimuli, close your eyes during your panic. This can block out any extra things that could stimulate it and make it easier to focus on your breathing.
      4. Practice mindfulness
      Mindfulness can help ground you in the reality of what’s around you. Since panic can cause a feeling of detachment or separation from reality, this can combat your panic attack as it’s approaching or actually happening.
      You could focus on the physical sensations you are familiar with, like digging your feet into the ground, or feeling the texture of your jeans on your hands. These specific sensations ground you firmly in reality and give you something objective to focus on.
      5. Find a focus object
      Some people find it helpful to find a single object to focus all of their attention on during panic. Pick one object in clear sight and consciously note everything about it possible. This can distract your attention away from the distress.
      6. Use muscle relaxation techniques
      Much like deep breathing, muscle relaxation techniques can help stop your panic attack in its tracks by controlling your body’s response as much as possible.
      Consciously relax one muscle at a time, starting with something simple like the fingers in your hand, and move your way up through your body.
      These can be practiced before any panic incident also.
      7. Picture your happy place
      What’s the most relaxing place in the world that you can think of? A sunny beach with gently rolling waves? A cabin in the mountains?
      Picture yourself there, and try to focus on the details as much as possible. Imagine digging your toes into the warm sand, or smelling the sharp scent of pine trees.
      This place should be quiet, calm, and relaxing
      8. Do some light exercise, once the panic has subsided
      Keep the blood pumping in exactly the right way. It can help flood our body , which can improve our mood. Because you’re stressed, choose light exercise that’s gentle on the body, like walking or swimming.
      9. Keep lavender available in your bag
      Lavender is known for being soothing and stress-relieving. It can help your body relax. If you know you’re prone to panic, keep some lavender oil available on hand and put some on your forearms and breathe in the scent.
      You can also try drinking chamomile tea which is relaxing and soothing.
      10. Repeat an affirmation internally
      Repeating an affirmation can be relaxing and reassuring, and it can give you something to grasp onto during the panic.
      For example “This shall pass,” , repeat it on loop in your head until you feel the panic has started to subside.
      Does anyone have any other ideas/ strategies that have worked for them during times of panic?

• 27th February 2020 at 4:07 pm #9155
      Lisa

This is brilliant advice Paul. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with things even though I know that the things can be sorted, there are just a lot of little things that need to be attended to. In a way that feeling of being overwhelmed with life is like a panic. If I just stopped and did one or two things and started somewhere then I will feel much more in control.

• 27th February 2020 at 11:46 pm #9167
      Paul Perris
      Keymaster

I find that by just taking baby steps at things and prioritising what is just important to do today, that I make more progress rather than focussing on the whole journey and worrying about things that can be done next month.

• 29th February 2020 at 2:10 pm #9193
      Joe Wrae

Yes, most definately good to practise mindfullness! Try to learn from our mistakes but not dwell on them and plan ahead but not stick to rigidly to it only use it as a way to focus our directions.

• 3rd March 2020 at 6:30 am #9220
      Victoria

Thank you Paul, this has been very helpful. Nothing more practical-for mee- than closing my eyes and picturing my happy place, it also helps me a lot -as I sniff everything-that keeps mint oil in my bag. I prone to have headaches and this, is giving me sometimes a break!

• 3rd March 2020 at 4:51 pm #9240
      Paul Perris
      Keymaster

Wise Words from Victoria! Often the more simple and less complicated methods are the best.. I also think you offer a very good suggestion to everyone with Peppermint oil being good for headaches. I find also Lavender oil helps me as well, even also combined with the mint oil, if I have a bad headache. I have even heard that Ginger Tea is meant to have soothing properties for headaches too… Thank you for your Post Victoria!

• 6th March 2020 at 2:42 pm #9260
      Brian

Can spirit sense if we are stressed out?

• 6th March 2020 at 10:26 pm #9265
      Paul Perris
      Keymaster

Hi Brian, The Spirit World and our loved ones there, do generally know what is going on around us and can see a little further ahead than we can as to the most likely path that our life will travel.

• 19th March 2020 at 12:15 pm #9384
      Gordon

I have learned as I have got older that there is for the most part unless you are worried about a loved one that there is no good getting stressed out – the only person it hurts it you. We seem to live in a world where everything is just rush rush rush!

• 21st March 2020 at 11:06 pm #9441
      Paul Perris
      Keymaster

One thing that I once read about worry was that it derives from a German word ” Worgon”. The Worgon means ” Mental strangualtion”. My own interpretaion of that is that the only thing worry does is strangle the life out of you and has no positive benefits to the owner of the worry. So often the actual anxiety itself rarely manifests. Any thoughts?

Reply To: Climbing Through the Clouds
Your information: